By Monica L. McCoy
Child abuse and overlook are tested during this re-creation -- the newest examine, what it includes, and the way to acknowledge and document it. Federal legislation mandates the reporting of suspected baby maltreatment via many execs. This ebook will entice those that at some point locate themselves within the function of a mandated reporter.
Engaging studying instruments are built-in throughout:
- Focus on Research containers supply an in-depth examine learn or methodologies.
- Case Examples and Debates inspire dialogue in regards to the grey parts within the box.
- Legal Examples and Focus on Law sections clarify judicial rulings together with publications for finding correct country statutes.
- Discussion questions advertise discussion and deepen realizing of the cloth.
- Bold confronted key terms outlined whilst first brought additionally seem within the book's glossary.
- Conclusions and Definitions aid scholars concentrate on the main techniques brought in every one bankruptcy.
The new version additionally contains the next features:
- A thorough updating of the citations and kingdom and federal legislation, besides the latest information on prevalence and occurrence in accordance with the recent nationwide occurrence examine NIS-4.
- A new bankruptcy on resiliency (Chapter 10) and extra dialogue of resilience within the face of maltreatment within the chapters on forms of abuse (Chapters 4–9) offer a greater realizing of why a few young ones thrive regardless of experiencing maltreatment.
- New "Profiles" containers that function information regarding graduate education in baby maltreatment, descriptions of jobs within the box, or biographies of people that paintings within the box to extend scholars‘ knowledge of attainable occupation opportunities.
- Web-based teacher and scholar assets together with PowerPoints, weblinks, and a attempt financial institution with multiple-choice, brief solution, and essay questions.
- More tables, figures, and images to higher illustrate and summarize key issues.
- New sections on baby maltreatment in army households (Chapter 2), baby weight problems due to maltreatment (Chapter 5), youngster "sexting" and its attainable prosecution as baby sexual abuse and Susan Clancy’s debatable thesis released in The Trauma Myth (Chapter 7).
- Updated and extra case examples together with fresh occasions that captured the public’s realization reminiscent of the case of Jessica Beagley convicted of kid abuse for forcing her son to ingest sizzling sauce and of Latrece Jones convicted of negligent murder for failing to have her son in a vehicle seat.
The booklet opens with the heritage on baby maltreatment together with its historical past, an outline of the study, and the danger elements. information about mandated reporting also are explored. diverse sorts of maltreatment – actual abuse, overlook, mental maltreatment, sexual abuse, fetal abuse, and Munchausen by way of Proxy Syndrome – are then tested, in addition to the recent bankruptcy on resiliency. occurrence estimates and outcomes for every kind of maltreatment are supplied. felony concerns together with forensic interviewing are then reviewed. The e-book concludes with an instance of what occurs to a toddler after a file is filed in addition to feedback for combating baby maltreatment.
Intended as a textual content for classes in baby abuse, baby maltreatment, relations violence, or sexual and intimate violence taught in psychology, human improvement, schooling, felony justice, social paintings, sociology, women’s reviews, and nursing, this ebook is usually a useful source to staff who're mandated journalists of kid maltreatment and/or somebody attracted to the problem.
Read or Download Child Abuse and Neglect: Second Edition PDF
Best abuse books
Emergency Care of the Abused is meant to aid the overall healthiness care practitioner in dealing with the extreme care of abused sufferers. This obtainable creation isn't really meant to be an exhaustive examine of every subject, yet a brief reference and useful consultant for these within the scientific area who see such sufferers.
"This is a superb publication, written via the most important authority within the box. [It] is straightforward to learn and does a pleasant activity integrating conception and learn. " rating: ninety five, four stars --Doody's Walker's seminal, groundbreaking ebook The Battered girl Syndrome (BWS) has cast new instructions within the box of family violence for over 30 years.
Family violence has emerged as an important public coverage factor of transnational personality and mobilization within the postcommunist period in Europe and Eurasia, as international forces have interacted with the agendas of governments, neighborhood and overseas women's teams, and human rights activists. the results of wide collaboration between students and activist-practitioners—many from postcommunist countries—this quantity examines the advance of country guidelines, adjustments in public perceptions, and the interplay of nationwide and foreign politics.
This paintings equips pros being able to recognize a baby in danger and to paintings with a toddler already ache. suggestion is obtainable on easy methods to navigate the multi-disciplinary methods. Fictional case experiences and workouts immerse the reader in eventualities. The authors lead readers via studying issues, ideas and laws.
Additional resources for Child Abuse and Neglect: Second Edition
Prince had custody of her 9-year-old niece, Betty M. Simmons, and she had the child distributing religious literature. She claimed that her rights to exercise her religious freedom as guaranteed by the Fourteenth Amendment were being violated by the child labor laws. In his majority opinion, Justice Rutledge wrote, And neither rights of religion nor rights of parenthood are beyond limitation. Acting to guard the general interest in youth’s well being, the state as parens patriae may restrict the parent’s control by requiring school attendance, regulating or prohibiting the child’s labor, and in many other ways.
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts. This ruling confirmed that states do have the right to interfere in family relationships to protect children. The highest court in the land said that the government had the right to intervene in a family in order to protect the children, even when challenged with claims of religious freedom. The facts of this case revolved around Sarah Prince, a Jehovah’s Witness, who was convicted for violating the child labor laws. Ms. Prince had custody of her 9-year-old niece, Betty M.
After all, meeting a child’s emotional needs surely entails more than responding to cries. We could add to this by measuring the amount of time a parent makes eye contact with the child, the number of times a child is praised, and so forth. By all these ratings, we are trying to precisely measure a complex phenomenon. We are using these behavioral observations to measure, in a consistent way, how well a parent is meeting a child’s emotional needs. Even though there is no perfect solution to this problem, researchers can work on using the same or similar measures, and we can all be attentive to how researchers operationally define their variables.